Sunday, April 4, 2010

Harry Helman

Described as "a good forward and very speedy," Harry Helman has become a forgotten member of the original Ottawa Senators team.

The 5'6" 145lb right winger played with the Sens for three NHL seasons, including in 1922-23 when the local boy helped them win the Stanley Cup.

That season was Helman's only full season in the NHL, though he was used sparingly. He played in 24 games, but failed to register a single point. He did pick up 5 minutes in penalties. In the Stanley Cup playoffs he has been credited for two more games played, but again went pointless. His post-season was cut short when he suffered a serious cut to his face courtesy of a teammate's skate blade during a practice.

Helman returned to the Sens the following season, scoring what would prove to be his only NHL goal. It was his only point in 19 games that season.

A veteran of World War I and an established Ottawa hockey sensation prior to joining the NHL Senators, Helman returned for just one game in the 1924-25 season. He sat out the entire 1925-26 season from big time hockey, resurfacing in Saskatoon where he played for the Shieks of the Prairie Hockey League for one season.

I know very little about Helman's life after hockey, although he appeared to return to Ottawa shortly after his season in Saskatoon. I'd love to hear from you if you do have any clues or knowledge.

Helman died in 1971. He was 76 years old.

2 comments:

Anonymous,  April 16, 2010 at 7:46 PM  

I am the grandson of Harry Helman. My name is Dave Smith and I was selected by the St. Louis Blues round 7 #94 overall 1971 NHL Amateur Draft. I started my career in junior hockey playing for the Regina Pats. It seems as though the year of death of Harry maybe wrong, but I am not completely sure. I really appreciate this information you have posted.

Anonymous,  May 10, 2010 at 3:00 PM  

Can anyone tell me what Harry Helman's number was?

  © Blogger templates Newspaper III by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP